By J.S. McClelland
* strains the improvement of political idea from historical Greece to the overdue 20th century
* specializes in person thinkers and texts
* comprises forty biographies of key political thinkers
* bargains unique perspectives of theorists and highlights these that can were unjustly neglected
* develops the broader topics of political suggestion and the kinfolk among thinkers over time.
Read or Download A History of Western Political Thought PDF
Similar political philosophy books
The Algebra of Revolution is the 1st e-book to check Marxist technique because it has been constructed by means of the most representatives of the classical Marxist culture, specifically Marx and Engels, Luxembourg, Lenin, Lukacs, Gramsci and Trotsky. This publication offers the one unmarried quantity examine of significant Marxist thinkers' perspectives at the an important query of the dialectic, connecting them with urgent modern, political and theoretical questions.
This quantity offers an unequaled advent to the concept of leader individuals to the Western culture of political philosophy from classical Greek antiquity to the 20 th century. Written by way of experts at the quite a few philosophers, this 3rd version has been multiplied considerably to incorporate either new and revised essays.
Loose will is a key yet contested inspiration within the paintings of Jean-Jacques Rousseau: whereas the famed thinker is understood to have asserted that unfastened will distinguishes people from animals, a number of interpreters have argued that he simply pretends to have this trust for the sake of fit politics and to prevent persecution through non secular specialists.
During this groundbreaking booklet, Steven Forde argues that John Locke's devotion to fashionable technology deeply formed his ethical and political philosophy. starting with an account of the classical method of traditional and ethical philosophy, and of the medieval scholasticism that took those ahead into early modernity, Forde explores why the trendy clinical venture of Francis Bacon, Pierre Gassendi, Robert Boyle and others required the rejection of the classical procedure.
- Rousseau: A Free Community of Equals (Founders of Modern Political and Social Thought)
- Rousseau's Counter-Enlightenment: A Republican Critique of the Philosophes (SUNY series in Social and Political Thought)
- Economic Thought and Institutional Change in France and Italy, 1789–1914: A Comparative Study
- The British Role in Iranian Domestic Politics (1951-1953) (SpringerBriefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace)
- The Grammar of Society: The Nature and Dynamics of Social Norms
- The Politics of Postsecular Religion: Mourning Secular Futures (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
Additional info for A History of Western Political Thought
A History of Western Political Thought by J.S. McClelland